Those who have worked within the Health and Safety industry, whether for five years or five days, will have undoubtedly been exposed to several acronyms in use across different companies- EHS is probably one of them.
EHS stands for Environment, Health and Safety. It is a system of processes, plans, standards, laws and regulations that businesses follow in order to protect the environment, the health of workers and the general public. EHS is a global business practice. It is intended to reduce all forms of accidents and exposure to harmful substances in the workplace, all while promoting good corporate citizenship, increasing EHS compliance and an organisation’s investment appeal.
Environment, Health and Safety comprises several different branches, including a range of areas within a company that affect its workforce, property, products and environment. This includes occupational health and safety, industrial hygiene, quality control, food safety, consumer health, environment protection, waste disposal, pollution control, equipment storage and more.
Managing the EHS Function
Managing a company’s overall EHS can sometimes feel like a time-consuming and Herculean Task, particularly when you consider each diverse variable that makes up the EHS function. EHS Senior Managers have to remember what’s due, when and who’s responsible. If additional people are involved in the process, they will have to ask for status updates, remember to follow up on progress and ensure that no key information gets lost in the back and forth. Multiply that by hundreds of regulatory tasks and deadlines, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.
Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be this way. At EHSCloud, we’ve seen what works and what doesn’t. Building from that knowledge, we have created an all-in-one health & safety management and compliance platform that helps businesses track EHS challenges and improve their EHS programme performances. Requiring no onsite installation, EHSCloud digitises the deskless worker, moving data collection from clipboard to the cloud. It enables you to track, analyse and predict trends, review audit findings and manage risk to prevent potential incidents and losses in real-time with a live EHS dashboard. This has allowed EHSCloud clients to become proactive rather than reactive and assisted in increasing productivity.
Why Should My Business Better Manage Its EHS with EHSCloud?
- Streamline Data Collection: Using a customised platform allows for improved data collection that matches your exact processes and business needs. Data can be recorded against defined criteria and supporting documents can be securely stored in one central location, ready to be pulled up with ease when needed. Standardising procedures and policies is considered the only way to ensure optimal EHS performance. The use of EHSCloud software and technology is an economical, time-effective, and conclusive way to implement this.
- Data-Logging on the Go: EHSCloud management software is mobile responsive. It enables employees to sync directly to the database remotely via smartphone or Tablet from any location in the world. One can quickly complete actions and assign tasks directly from their mobile device while out in the field, providing immediate insight into task status. With data-driven analytics on the go, management teams can access and issue authorisations from anywhere to mobilise rapid action teams to quickly close out safety issues.
- Stay EHS Compliant: EHS software makes it easier to collect data to meet occupational health and safety standards and regulations. Companies can identify, adhere to and stay current with the latest regulations and directives while being able to prove it through reporting and inspections. From OSHA to ISO and other international standards, EHSCloud’s compliance management solution makes it easy to satisfy regulatory requirements and your next audit.
- Reduce EHS-related Costs: With EHS software in place, businesses can gauge which processes and endeavours are consuming the most time and money. Companies that use EHS software can significantly lower the potential for missed compliance deadlines and non-conformances, in turn reducing the amount spent on fines and penalties. By digitising your EHS management and automating processes, EHSCloud reduces the time and resources needed for EHS compliance. Our integrated software also provides valuable insights across the entire organisation, enabling you to avoid potential risks company-wide.
- Prepare for Emergencies: Ultimately, how a business prepares for an emergency will influence the effectiveness of its response. Information gathered from incident investigations and safety observations can be used to inform EHS Practitioners on what to expect in emergency circumstances, and how to best resolve them. Through the EHSCloud management system, you can test emergency preparedness plans through regular fire drills, emergency evacuations and other safety exercises. Drills can be planned and executed anywhere across the organisation with recorded results.
A well-designed, well-executed EHS programme, when properly managed and communicated can help you build a stronger, more profitable business. For more information about EHSCloud or to book a demo to witness your EHS in action, contact us today.